Every year the local high school band sells cases of citrus for their annual fund raiser. I gladly purchase a case of pink grapefruit because this recipe it’s one of my go to breakfast treats in winter. The guests love it. It’s very simple and I usually say if you like grapefruit you’ll love this – if you’re on the fence about grapefruit this recipe just may change your mind.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve the grapefruit and remove any visible seeds. Begin to segment the grapefruit by making cuts around the grapefruit and at each piece.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of your favorite local honey in the center of each grapefruit half.
- For each grapefruit mix together 2T brown sugar and 1/2t cinnamon until combined. Then evenly sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon mixture on top of the grapefruit halves.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. For the last minute turn the broiler on high to finish off the caramelization.
- For serving, place 1/2 maraschino cherry in the center of each grapefruit half. Serve warm.
If your grapefruit is super juicy lay a paper towel over the top of the grapefruit halve and blot up the excess juice. When you sprinkle the top with the sugar you don’t want it to dissolve before it browns in the oven.
You can skip the sugar / cinnamon step altogether and just heat the grapefruit with a drizzle of local honey as described. The heat brings out a wonder flavor all on its own.