Scranton Seahorse Inn is pleased to announce the launch of our new website and blog, developed in WordPress by InsideOut Solutions, our website host.
The Scranton Seahorse Inn is located in the heart of the village of Madison on the Connecticut shoreline. This wonderful inn, opened January 2006, is close to spectacular beaches, charming boutiques, elegant restaurants and outlet shopping. Housed in the 1833 Greek revival home of Sereno Scranton, the Scranton Seahorse Inn offers its guests the convenience of luxurious newly appointed accommodations along with the charm and ambiance of a historic New England homestead. Whether you are in town for a relaxing getaway, business trip, or a fun-filled adventure, let us become your home away from home. Discover our seven guest rooms, each with private bath, cable TV, state of the art heat and air conditioning and internet access. Enjoy a Jacuzzi bath in three of our guest rooms. Our deluxe first floor suite includes a charming fireplace in addition to a rain shower Jacuzzi. Come see for yourself why we were selected as a winner in the 2007 Shoreline Newspaper Comfiest Bed and Breakfast category and Best Bed & Breakfast by the New Haven Advocate 2008 Readers Poll. We graciously anticipate hosting your stay.
From young to old and mild to bold we’ve got some great cheeses paired up with very special Microbrews from all over New England. These happen to be two of the innkeeper’s favorite things so this is sure to be a great event.
All inclusive package including a comfy guest room and reserved seating for event starts at $270.00. Please call the inn to reserve a space today. This is a great gift for the beer and cheese lover in your life!
This is a great recipe for those with dairy or soy allergies and tastes so much better than anything you buy in a store. And because almonds are a high energy food this is a terrific start to anyone’s day!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 5-6 very fresh pitted dates
- ½ a vanilla bean or ½ teaspoon good vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar (if needed)
1. Soak almonds in water in a blender overnight
2. Blend on high speed until almonds are completely ground. The water will become white and frothy. Strain through a fine mesh strainer pressing on almonds to extract the excess milk. Reserve the liquid and discard the almonds.
3. Rinse your blender and pour in the reserved milk.
4. Add the dates, and scrape the beans of ½ a vanilla bean or use ½ teaspoon good vanilla extract
5. Blend until smooth and then taste. If you think the milk needs to be sweetened and a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of agave nectar being careful not to over sweeten.
Serve this with cereal, granola, or enjoy straight out of the glass!
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cardamon (optional)
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
1. Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. I use cardamom and cinnamon interchangeably with this recipe. Sometimes I use both! They both pack a lot of flavor so just a pinch will do.
2. Melt Butter and cool slightly
3. Whisk buttermilk into cooled butter and then whisk in the eggs and sour cream.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Use a large rubber spatula and fold together until just combined. Use a minimal amount of strokes – some lumps might remain. Let stand for at least 15 minutes – this will give the sour cream and baking soda time to react.
5. Pour 1/4 cup for each pancake onto a hot oiled skillet or griddle. When bubbles start to uniformly appear it’s time to flip. These pancakes will rise nicely so let them cook for at least 2 minutes on the second side. Don’t forget to use quality (LOCAL if available) syrup. Enjoy.
- 3 cup Quaker Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Any combination of your favorite nuts (we love pecans and almonds)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Unsweetend Coconut
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Local Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Local Honey
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (save time and buy prewashed)
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- 1 cup Your favorite dried fruit(s)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl mix together oats, coconut, nuts, quinoa, and spices
2. Combine syrup, honey, vanilla and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat until butter is melted. NOTE: You can vary the ratio of honey and syrup you use based on taste preference. Just be sure you have 1.5 cups of sweetener.
3. Stir together the warmed syrup mixture and add to the oat & nut mixture. Stir until well coated.
4. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet covered with a silpat. If you don’t have a silpat coat the baking sheet with cooking spray. Set oven timer to 7 minutes. Every 7 minutes for approximately 30 minutes remove the pan and stir. We want the mixture to be evenly cooked to a dark golden brown.
5. Once cooled combine the dried fruit to the oats. The granola can be kept refrigerated in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy with milk, soy milk, or plain yogurt.
3 very ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1/8 tsp. all spice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter or spray an 8-inch square pan.
In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas well with a fork or potato masher. Add the eggs, and stir well to combine. Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla, and stir to mix. Add the chocolate chips, and stir briefly. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter in the pan. Optionally you can add an additional ¼ cup chocolate chips to the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Extra Cost for this package is 150.00
Treat your special date to some old fashioned romance, Madison style. The Scranton Seahorse Inn brings back the perfect first date with this package – and it’s all within steps from our front door. A bouquet of flowers await you and your date when you check in to one of our deluxe guest rooms. Relax in your room before dinner at Bar Bouchee (we’ll give you a $100.oo gift certificate to get you started!). Stroll back down the street and to use your tickets to take in a movie at the classic Madison Arts Cinema. Simple, old fashioned, & elegant! A gourmet breakfast is served each day of your stay.