May 30th, 2015 by hafford
You know I love my rhubarb. The only thing that I don’t like about it is that the growing season for rhubarb in Connecticut is too short. I take advantage of the local harvest, including from my own garden, as much as I can. A lot of our guests here at the Scranton Seahorse Inn have asked for this recipe – even from some that didn’t think they liked rhubarb. The small chop on the rhubarb in this recipe doesn’t overwhelm but provides tasty tart bites. The combination of the wheat and all purpose flour provide a nice nutty aroma and flavor. I hope you enjoy this Rhubarb Coffee Cake recipe.
1 pound finely chopped rhubarb
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon orange extract or 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. To prepare cake, combine rhubarb and 2 tablespoons flour in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
3. Place brown sugar and 5 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, rind, and vanilla; beat until well combined.
4. Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Fold in rhubarb mixture. This is a thick batter. Spread evenly into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
5. To prepare streusel, combine turbinado sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 forks until mixture is crumbly; stir in nuts. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy.
May 28th, 2015 by hafford
Not that we need an excuse to eat another hamburger but Thursday May 28th is National Hamburger Day so it’s really an obligation for today. Besides eating a hamburger I thought I should share with you some of our favorite places to enjoy a hamburger. They are all a short drive from the inn so if you come spend a weekend with us you have choices.
1. Augur’s Irish Pub is our favorite hangout located near the green in Guilford. This is truly local favorite where great people gather and great people work. The burgers are big juicy and hand formed and cooked to perfection. This is a no frills burger that a traditionalist will love! It’s served on a hard roll with lettuce and tomato and a side of chips. Plenty of local brews available on tap and in bottle. This is our favorite place to watch the Red Sox and the Patriots. The owner is a Jets fan but we lover her none the less.
2. If size matters you won’t be disappointed with the burgers at Christy’s right here near the beach in Madison. These monsters are served with a steak knife and fries. My favorite is the chili burger topped with homemade chili, cheddar, and onion. I never think I’ll ever be able to finish it but I always do.
3. We love heading out to Old Saybrook and trying one of the dozens of burgers (and dogs) off the menu at The Rabbit Hole. I don’t think I’ve tried them all yet but I am working on it. The beer list is absolutely endless too so be prepared to make multiple visits so you can try every burger and every beer. There are multiple TV’s so you’ll find favorite team on one of them.
4. Moxie is a fabulous gastropub here in Madison and a short 2 minute walk from the Scranton Seahorse Inn. The burger and fries have become a local favorite. I can’t get enough of the Cowboy Up Burger with jalepeno poppers and BBQ melted onions. Lot’s of outdoor seating with great wines and a list of ever changing craft beers. You’ll be happy you can walk there and back.
If you try out any of our favorites please let us know what you think. Follow this link to another handy resource to great burgers and brews.
It’s great to be in good company!
May 8th, 2015 by hafford
Every month we honor people from different professions. We try to bring them together in one place for a night or two to find new friends with common interests and to share favorite stories. In May we honor paramedics and emergency medical technicians. We know they work hard and we respect what they do and we are offering 25% off their bill throughout May. With that we hope to encourage them to take a break and relax with us here at the Scranton Seahorse Inn. If you are one of these people, or know one that you’d like to treat, this is place to be in May.
Call 203.245.0550 to check availability and make your reservation.
May 7th, 2015 by hafford
Cash at sunrise at the Madison town beach
We have some rooms left for the next week at reduced rates so no more excuses. Pack your overnight bag and come stay on the Connecticut coast and enjoy the sunrises, the May flowers and sunny beaches. Our rooms start at just $139 for the next week and that rate includes breakfast. And, if you’re interested, Cash and Theo will be available for petting and hugging.
Call us today and make your reservation while rooms last.
See you at the inn!
April 14th, 2015 by hafford
- Spring Wine Dinner at The Scranton Seahorse Inn
- May 9th 2015 at 7pm
- With Chef Paul Barron
- Wines provided by Madison Wine Shop
Spring Asparagus Salad
poached & shaved asparagus . baby arugula . poached quail egg.
parmesan crisp .truffle vinaigrette
paired with Cavicchioli Col Sassoso Lambrusco
caramelized fennel . country ham .candied orange zest . madeira brown butter
paired with Brandini Arneis
Lobster au Morels
whole picked maine lobster . broccolini . mushroom fricassee. bisque sauce
paired with Butter Chardonnay by John Anthony
Filet of Beef Tenderloin
macaroni-gruyere gratin . black kale . bordelaise sauce
paired with Chateau Carrier Bourdeaux
Honey Yogurt Panna Cotta . Rhubarb Consomme
paired with Domaine de Durban Muscat Beaume de Venise
Wine Dinner is $125 per person. Includes all tax & gratuity
Overnight stay with wine dinner for two is $425. Includes all tax and gratuity.
Call 203.245.0550 for reservations
April 9th, 2015 by hafford
Last month we celebrated nurses and this month we celebrate teachers. If you’re a teacher and you’re lucky enough to have a bit of a break in April we hope you’ll spend a night or two at the Scranton Seahorse Inn. All month long teachers will enjoy a 20% discount off their room rates. We recognize your hard work, long hours and the pressures of your jobs during the school year (which seems to be getting longer and longer…) and want to you to know we are here to help you relax. Come stay with us and walk the beaches before the summer crowds get here, hike the trails, sip wine at Chamard, take in a live performance at The Kate, dine at Moxie, or get a massage. Or do everything. Or, maybe it’s time take a recess from everything and do nothing.
Call 203.245.0550 today for reservations and we promise not to mention parent-teacher conferences at all when you’re here.
March 5th, 2015 by hafford
Calling all nurses! We recognize how hard you work and want you to know how much you mean to us and our families when we are sick or even when we are striving to remain healthy. If you’re a nurse or have a favorite nurse in your doctor’s office, or work with a nurse please let them know that for the entire month of March the Scranton Seahorse Inn in Madison, Connecticut welcomes them by offering 25% off all rooms.
Call us today to book a room for yourself or for your favorite nurse. Feel free to share a story about your favorite nurse on our blog. We’d love to hear from you.
See you at the inn!
Call 203.245.0550 to make a reservation today.
March 3rd, 2015 by hafford
I guess there’s a reason to celebrate something every day so why not pancakes too! Throughout the year we make variations on these crowd pleasing favorites. In fall and winter we serve gingerbread, pumpkin or apple pancakes. In the spring we’ll change it up to lemon ricotta and sometimes in the summer we’re making buttermilk and sweet corn pancakes. But our tried and true hit are fluffy classic buttermilk pancakes topped with berries and local maple syrup. Here’s our recipe for our version. Enjoy! Happy Pancake Day!
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt Butter and cool slightly
- Whisk buttermilk into cooled butter and then whisk in the eggs and sour cream.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Use a large rubber spatula and fold together until just combined. Use a minimal amount of strokes – some lumps might remain. Let stand for at least 15 minutes – this will give the sour cream and baking soda time to react.
- Pour 1/4 cup for each pancake onto a hot oiled skillet or griddle. When bubbles start to uniformly appear it’s time to flip. These pancakes will rise nicely so let them cook for at least 2 minutes on the second side. Don’t forget to use quality (LOCAL if available) syrup. Enjoy.
February 3rd, 2015 by hafford
I’m ready! Do you have your Oscar picks ready? You still have time to get to the theater before the Oscars are handed out on Sunday February 22. If you’re feeling competitive (or lucky) you can participate in our annual Oscars contest right now by clicking the link below. The person who picks the highest correct number of winners wins a free night at The Scranton Seahorse Inn. As always, while at the inn look through our DVD library and watch any of our hundreds of movies while you relax in your guest room. We add to our collection all the time! Good luck everyone. This contest closes on 2/22 @ 4pm.
Enter The Scranton Seahorse Inn Oscar Contest
In the event of a tie – a entry will be selected at random. Results will be posted on this blog the day after the awards show. Check back to see if you’re the big winer.
January 22nd, 2015 by hafford
You know how we love our movies here at the Scranton Seahorse Inn. We just added a bunch of movies to our DVD library that include many of this years Oscar nominees. So if you haven’t seen Boyhood, Gone Girl, Grand Budapest Hotel, or Guardians of the Galaxy they are here for your viewing pleasure. We’ll be adding more as they are released to DVD.
In addition to our celebration of Oscar Season we are offering free movie tickets to the Madison Art Cinemas for all movies that are playing in that theatre that have a nomination for an Oscar in any category. Click the link above to be directed to their website for movies listings and schedules.
Within the next couple of days I’ll be creating the ballot for our 4th annual Oscar contest where you can win a free night at The Scranton Seahorse Inn, dinner at Elizabeth’s Cafe and two movie tickets.
See you at the inn!