Molasses Sugar Cookies
We try to keep the cookie jar in the coffee bar stocked. There’s a lot of midnight cookie monsters out there so this is a difficult task at times! We had a group of guests from Germany recently that begged me for my molasses cookie recipe. I wish I could say it was mine! This was passed on to me from my friend Liza who in turn got it from Jillifer’s Emporium, Great Barrington, MA. Enjoy!
- 1 pound butter
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- Cream butter, molasses, water, salt and brown sugar together.
- Beat in eggs
- Sift dry ingredients together and then add to creamed mixture.
- Mix well
- Refigerate for 24 hours.
- Roll into balls (1″ diameter), then roll in granulated sugar
Bake for 15 – 18 minutes at 350 degrees – adjust time for convection ovens.
Yields approximately 3 1/2 dozen